Friday, June 29, 2012

Week 4 Reflection

Week 4: Ah ha!                                                                                                                                                                 6/29/12
As I prepare to start my masters this fall (in Educational Leadership), I notice my mindset shifting to the leadership side of tasks.  I’m recognizing what people say, how they approach others, and I’m focusing on the qualities that are promoting success.  As I reflect on how I think this externship will change my classroom, I keep looking at the bigger picture.  I know I’m going to have stories, and I know my students will be fully aware of my summer job (and how incredibly fascinating it was).  However, my curriculum and pacing are not going to change.  Since that’s set by the Common Core and our school district, I don’t have much flexibility there.  However, I do anticipate a change in my demeanor and motivation to incorporate real-world stories into the math.  I feel like I’ve taught my classrooms to be driven by problem-solving, but instead of getting stories out a book or online, I will have my own toolbox of options.
                One strategy I would love to incorporate next year is definitely a word wall.  Having the vocabulary and catch-phrases defined and available to my students can be priceless.  Last week I read a great line from a fellow extern, “It’s stressful when you try to manipulate something that you don’t understand.”  I have found myself in this same situation on more than one occasion the past few weeks.  “Who?  Where?  Sorry, could you explain that again?”  It gets frustrating when you’re trying so hard to learn new things, but everyone else around you is already so fluent that you don’t want to be the one to ask the question.     ---Oh. So that’s what it’s like for so many of my students!---     I feel like I’ve done a decent job of asking questions and seeking answers (and everyone around here has been super patient), but I’m sure it’s much more difficult for a teenager who’s lacking confidence and/or motivation. 
Another idea I’ve been thinking about is creating a bank of jobs in the mathematical field.  I know there are some fantastic posters/books that have already compiled this, and it would be fun to have some of those, but I’m talking specific jobs and companies around here.  When I ask students what they want to be when they grow up, most frequently I hear, “I don’t know yet.”  Not really wanting to push those buttons, and understanding they’re freshman, I regrettably have accepted that answer.  No more of that!  I will cheerfully offer some math career ideas.  I know many of them won’t stick, but I would love for a student to chase a dream with the motivation of something like, “My freshman algebra teacher said she thought I’d be great at it.  I looked into it and loved it, so here I am!”

No comments:

Post a Comment