Monday, June 18, 2012

Week 2 Reflections

2nd week in, and things keep getting better!                                                                        6/15/2012
                My initial concerns have now been swept away, and I’m becoming more and more comfortable with my time here at Accumold.  I was initially concerned with the lack of clarity on potential projects and tasks, but things have been working out quite well.  As days progress, more and more opportunities for involvement arise, and I find myself diving into things I never imagined.  I love it!  Another concern I had towards the beginning involved a little bit of nervousness for not knowing anyone around campus, but my task of measurement testing has provided a wonderful opportunity to put names with faces.  It’s great to be able to greet one another, and it definitely makes me feel more at home here.  Even further, in case I struggle with remembering who’s who, I’ve been granted access to Accumold’s SharePoint which has a file of everyone’s name and picture.  It’s another fantastic tool that has helped to make me feel welcome.  As a whole, Accumold has done a phenomenal job of welcoming me on board, and the transition here has been outstanding.
                While inquiring about Accumold’s concerns at the beginning, my supervisor mentioned that she wasn’t very worried, but rather excited and ready to get started. She said she saw the program as a win-win situation and could see the connections with how the program would help with what they’re trying to accomplish.  She had an expectation that, as an educator, I had excelled in the classroom and would bring skills capable of being successful at Accumold.  From my understanding, I have shown that to be the case.  Also, some words in my application offered some ease and confidence for the program.  I mentioned that some of the most important things I try to teach my students is problem solving strategies and instilling in them a desire to keep learning and challenging themselves.  My supervisor mentioned that her long term goal is “to help the staff see that their value to Accumold is not as an operator, process tech, or tool maker, but as a problem solver who can make a difference.”  With these common goals in mind, we’ve been working together quite well!
                I have two current projects involving more of my expertise of teaching, and I’m very excited to see how it’s going to play out.  The first is to help revamp the training process of an employee.  It’s been agreed upon that a day in a classroom-like setting prior to following around a trained employee on the floor might be most beneficial. I have been assigned the task of putting together said classroom instruction.  With the help of a very wise employee who currently heads the training process most frequently, I am integrating modality changes and interactive writing opportunities throughout the day.  Hopefully this will help the new employee to better retain the information provided throughout the training process.  The other project is to help employees become more informed about their health and health care options.  I have yet to dive completely in to this one, but my brainstorming gears are turning, and I’m excited for the many directions it might possibly take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment