Friday, June 8, 2012

Week 1 Reflection


What a great first week at Accumold!        

Throughout my first few days, I’ve gained a much better understanding of the company, the procedures, and the tasks I am going to tackle during my time this summer.  Accumold is a micro-molding manufacturer of tiny plastic parts.  They construct steel molds according to customer specifications, inject resin with precision, and have an intense quality control line.  I have never been involved with manufacturing before, and the processes Accumold has are clearly in place to make sure things run smoothly.  It absolutely blows my mind how tiny most of the parts are, and I find it fascinating how the molds can be SO precise and accurate.  When measuring in fractions of microns, there isn’t much room for error.
I’ve been growing more accustom to the language of the field with words like gates, gate vestige, flash, MRB, BOM, AQL, and RMA.  Having always been in the educational field, it’s fun to work with people who have been in the Accumold family for years and have a strong passion for these strategies and processes.  It’s an entirely different world from what I’ve ever known.

            I had the opportunity to sit in on a Material Review Board meeting that focused on process improvement (to clearly follow parts from being labeled faulty, solving the problem, and getting the parts back to where they belong).  The explicit outline for the meeting was incredible!  There was a set agenda, purpose, goals, and payback posted up and reviewed prior to beginning.  My favorite part—the payback.  So frequently we set goals and talk about what we need to accomplish, but what do we specifically get out of it?  It was great to have a clear layout of what will be in place when we’re done. 
            One of the biggest issues at the process improvement meeting focused on a deadline.  When the parts are due to be shipped that day, paperwork gets put on the backburner for efficiency purposes.  That’s were pieces get “lost” or electronic files don’t match where the parts actually are located.  It then requires additional effort to realign the inventory movement paperwork before it’s released for shipment. When it’s due, it’s due, and priorities shift a little.  This rang a bell for me with testing in accordance to district standardized tests.  We have a common unit test to give at the end of every unit, and there’s a target due date to get the scores submitted.  As the date approaches, priorities shift a little, and some of the supporting standards might get shoved aside by the priority standards.
            Another big ah-ha moment focused on implementing a Gradual Release of Responsibility.  Some employees failed a Phase 1 measurement test.  One of my tasks is to help remediate and ultimately retest these employees.  I was given instructions to retest the employees on the same 6 parts.  If they failed again, I was to test them on a new set of 20 parts I put together.  Recognizing a teachable moment, I offered some teaching strategies at this point.  Rather than just retesting them on the larger sample, I will use about 10-15 of the pieces to train them.  I’ll model it for them, then help them through a couple, then they’ll show me they can measure more independently.  After the series of instructions, I’ll retest them when I’m more confident in their abilities. 

            One big mind-puzzler for me is with a few employees who are still learning the English language.  Right now their job is quality inspection.  They inspect the parts to make sure there aren’t any blemishes, gate vestige, flash, or anything else that could make it a faulty part.  Computers, cameras, and robots threaten their job security.  Someday, their job will be obsolete, and they’ll have to learn a new skill.  One thing that was mentioned was Accumold’s deep care for their employees and helping them provide for their families.  To have to lay off an employee would be heart-wrenching.  We discussed a few options to make sure this doesn’t happen, one solution being to help educate these employees.  Teaching them English and broadening their skill set would help to make sure they don’t get replaced.  Of course, that takes time, money, and other resources.  This brings up a puzzling moral question.  What’s more important?  Spending resources on employees with intentions of keeping them around, or spending those resources elsewhere to further the company? 

            I haven’t found many direct links of things to use in my classroom yet, but the ELL experience definitely has had the most lasting impact.  Educating the students to actually know the language and to have a desire to be a lifelong learner is key.  With a few more projects coming underway next week, I’m very excited to see what’s in store for this summer at Accumold!

No comments:

Post a Comment